Monday, February 16, 2009

The Clean Intermittent Catheterisation Training

After much pressure from the doctors for some 2 and half years since Jeremiah's birth, I finally succumbed. I agreed to go for the training for this catheter thing.

However, I told the doctor that I will like to take it slow and at my pace. Dr and nurses all said no problem, anything for me. Yes, those were their exact words.
"No Problem Mummy. Anything for you mummy."
In fact they even said, "This is the best Chinese New Year gift for us!"
I was kinda miffed at what's the connection.
Nevertheless, I told them that I would like the nurses to do it once a day for one week and I like to see with the professionals doing it, were there any implications. Then I would do it the following week if I was comfortable with it. Then, if I was all ready to take it on my own then I would start it at home. The professionals agreed with the "No Problem Mummy. Anything for you mummy." one echoing another.

We set the date for the 10th of February, right after Chinese New Year as promised. I went to the hospital with Jeremiah and my helper, Gina who was all ready to see and learn. The staff nurse did the thing and asked us to return tomorrow. We were charged $12.50 for the thing. 11th February, we returned, the staff nurse said we should do it hands on. Then, I asked would I be charged $12.50 everyday like that, she then said if the nurses did it, we had to be charged. Okie. I wasn't told that. So it would be a good sixty over dollars if I had the nurses do it for one week. So I was ask to DIY. I was made to do it. Jeremiah's penis looked red and raw. I sounded my concern and the nurse said if it was a concern, the dr would prescribe some steroidal antibiotics cream to get the redness away. *sigh* We were told to return tomorrow and this time for the helper to try. I went home telling the hubby I was not comfortable about Jere's penis turning red and raw and Tim said something to the effect of not doing it if I was not at peace.

Somehow, the next day and after we did not return to the hospital. Was it the right thing or not? I don't know.

Yesterday, Monday, start of a new week, the nurse called again to ask why we did not return. On Thursday we did not return frankly was because Jere had a fall and was not in the best of moods. Friday, I just did not feel I was up to it.

Today, Tuesday, I asked Jere should we return, he said no. I asked the hubby should we return, he said let's pray about it and let the Holy Spirit guide us.

Please pray for our course of action.

Lord be my guide.

No comments: