Wednesday, July 5, 2006

J trackback: 2006 - Just Born and the News of Surgery



This picture was taken 5th July 0653am about 6 hours after Jeremiah was born.

Right after i birthed Jere, the neo natalogist Dr Simon Ng was called into the delivery suite to examine him, briefly told us about Jere's birth condition and had Jere wheeled straight into the Neo Natal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) I was not allowed to breastfeed him :( I was wheeled into the ward and could not sleep all night thinking of my baby.

Baby J was scheduled for op at 1600 hr to cover up the spine. It was not easy at all when I saw him all hooked up to drips.

Then at about 9 plus that morning, it was the first time we met Dr Choo Su May, the anaesthetist for the op later. Was given the greenlight to feed till 1330hr. I was so happy. Poor baby. He must be so hungry. I immediately latch him on. He was so little...it was so much comfort to be able to put him to my breasts.

After nursing Jere for a while, I decided to return to my room as I felt like there was no milk.

Just when I was about to leave the NICU, Sister Bernardette came in. Seems like a God sent! I really needed someone like that. I cried as I talked to Sister Bernadette and she prayed for me to surrender it to the Lord and peace to be with me. After which I returned to my room. I started to sms everyone that I know, informing about Jere's birth and the impending surgery and asked everyone to pray for a smooth procedure and no complications to arise.

We met Dr Tang Kok Kee about 1 plus that afternoon. He was the neuro surgeon that would operate on baby Jere. He explained to us about the open neural tube defect in more detail and told us that he would be the operating surgeon and we could ask him any questions if need be. I could not hear much or ask much as I was concerned to give Jere as much milk as I could before his op. Dr Tang then left me to nurse Jere.

No comments: