Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Our 3rd visit(review) to NSC

Before I start, praise the Lord and thank you Lord He went before us.

It was the 21st Oct, time for our review at the National Skin Centre (NSC). As I approached the place, I was a little apprehensive. I said a prayer not under my breath but almost aloud as I entered the entrance of the place..... LORD, LET EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE DOCTORS BE A BLESSING NOT A CURSE. LORD, BLESS THE DOCTORS IN THE ASSESMENT REVIEW TODAY. GUIDE THEIR HEADS, HANDS, MINDS, EVERYTHING LORD. LORD, I KNOW YOU ARE IN CONTROL. THANK YOU LORD. LORD, JUST LET THEM SPEAK BLESSINGS. AMEN!
looking at Jere as I pushed him in his stroller, I said "Amen Jere?" Jere answered, "AMEN!"
We went past the entrance, past the recept and to the lift to the second floor to the paeds clinic.
There seemed to be not much people that afternoon. We registered and I couldn't help asking.... which doctor is it and heaved a huge sigh of relief when it wasnt the same dr as the last. We sitted ourselves right outside of room 6 and I read the name of the dr. okie. we seemed quite safe today. It's an Assoc Consultant Dr Tan Kian Teo, whatever it is, thank you Lord. Within 5 minutes, we were called. I was shocked at being so fast as the last time i spent the whole afternoon from 1 to almost 5 at the NSC. I knocked the door and tried to go in the room with my big diaper bag, trying to hold the door open and trying to push the stroller in. Almost immediately, the doctors came to the door and tried to help me including the one sitting behind the computer which is usually the main consulting doctor. Dr Tan introduced himself and the other two doctors as we entered the room and I carried Jere out of the stroller.
Then Dr Tan started off asking, "How is Jeremy today?"
I stuttered as I answered "still quite bad." not sure how's these drs gonna be this time. I got quite a phobia from the last visit, really. The first visit when we saw the emeritus, it was good though the meds did not quite work but sometimes such stuff can't be helped and I can understand that. The second visit, the dr did not quite believe or even listened to the feedback of how jere reacted to the meds and she did not even assessed Jere. She did not even come near Jere as if eczema was some contagious disease. This time, I was quite prepared whatever was gonna happen but God sure came before me and blessed the doctors. They spoke very gently and kindly and Dr Tan asked me to put Jere on the bed and they all came forward to see Jere's condition. I took out Jere's pants to show how bad the skin on his legs was, showed them the tummy, the hands and the neck. Then Dr Tan even asked me to turn Jere around to see his back. Now, to me a layman, that's what I call a doctor. That's what I feel is assessment and then treatment. Then I told the doctors of what meds Jere was given previously and how he had reacted. Dr Tan then asked if it is affecting Jere's sleep. Gosh, if I haven't told some of you, Jere's itch is so bad at night that there was this one night at 3am, I found him without his pants and diapers. From then on, i always wore button down romper over his pj pants and diapers. He must have itched so bad that he just tore off everything and flung it off as we found his pants and diapers at the other end of the room. Dr Tan then explained that he will prescribe a little stronger medicine for the flare and some antibiotics for the broken skin and some antihistamine when jere cannot sleep at night this time alongside with some moisturiser. Dr Tan even went to the extent of asking what moisturisers have I tried. After everything, the doctors kindly saw me out, helping me with the door. The whole experience was completely different from the last I had. Thank You Lord.

As I stepped out and sat waiting for my turn to pay, I saw just next to the doctors room was the medical social worker room and the name read Joanne Tan. It seemed some few days ago, some MSW of that name called to ask if I would like to joins the Atopic Dermatitis support group. I then asked the staff if I could just meet with the MSW so as to put a face to the name. I met Joanne and she was one kind young lady. Jere seemed to like her too as she played and chatted with him. We left the clinic with an appointment in 3 weeks time and headed to the pharmacy to get our meds.

Praise God and thank you Lord for going before us and guiding the drs. Lord, I know jere is in your hands and the ultimate healer is you God and you will heal Jere. Thank you Lord. AMEN!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did the review go?
Were the consultants more friendly than KKH

Michy Mich said...

hey mei lik,

haha.... i must have pressed the button post before i completed the entry. I guess you can get the answer now. ;)