Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Results

Sunday and Monday passed. The nurses said they don't open on Sunday and Monday is a public holiday so I could only get the results on Tues and they would call then. Came Tuesday morning, first thing I called KKH. Nisha first spoke to me. Passed me to Shikin and said that there is bacteria growth in the urine culture and it's an urgent and serious case. Note the words URGENT AND SERIOUS they used. Then she continued to ask when will you be free to come down? I replied if it was urgent and serious, why do you ask me when will you be free to come down? Shouldn't I be attended to immediately?

Shikin: Oh, then you can come down immediately if you can but you won't be attended by Dr Y ( the dr that Jere had been seeing all along) You will be attended to by the attending dr. Dr Y has instructed a bladder wash out, an indwelling catheter for 5-7 days and a change of antibiotics.

Me: What? What's a bladder washout ?(quite intimidated by the term)

Shikin: It's nothing really. It's just putting the catheter in, putting saline in and flushing out the bladder.

Me: What's the in dwelling catheter about?

Shikin: Dr Y said gotta put the catheter in and leave it there for at least 5 days.

Me: When can I see Dr Y so that I can hear from her what is going on?

Shikin: Thursday is the earliest.

Me: so if it's that serious and urgent, can we wait till thurs?

Shikin: If you can come down now then no need wait till Thurs. if Not, we wait till thurs. it depends on you mummy.

Me: what do you mean depends on me if it is urgent and serious? can it depend on me?

Shikin: Thurs is only 2 days.

Me: I really don't quite understand this. One hand you tell me urgent and serious. then you tell me depend on me and wait.

Shikin: hold on...

I heard a different voice saying hello.

Me: Hello hello, who is this?

Nisha: this is Nisha.

Me: What's going on? you guys juz pass me here and there.... Ok, Can you fax me the results and let me see?

Nisha: Results are private and confidential.

Me: What do you mean private and confidential? I'm the mother and I am requesting for it.

Nisha: You can come down personally to get it.

Me: ok I will do that

I hung up. Fear has certainly gotten a part of me with the words URGENT AND SERIOUS. I called Tim immediately and asked him how? what's the next course of action? I sms my prayer loop straightaway with the update.I told Tim I was not quite comfortable to go to KKH straightaway as an in dwelling catheter (IDC) means to be warded and how can a baby deal with an IDC? I said I like to go and retrieve the results and go seek a second opinion with the paedaetrician. Tim agreed.I hung up with Tim and still not quite satisfied, I called KKH again. This time, I asked to speak to Staff Zhang and asked what exactly is going on. Staff Zhang was more informative. She told me what was the name of the bacteria growth - enterococcus faecalis and what it was responsive to - amoxy and augmentin so that's why the call to change of antibiotics and she also explained that neurogenic bladder kids would usually do the bladder washout and not normal kids. Then I told her I was not comfortable with the IDC and won't do that. She said ok, she will inform Dr Y and asked me first to go down and do the wash out and get the antibiotics.

Now, I was confused. Should I go down and do the washout? Or should I wait till Dr Y explain to me? I called Tim again. Tim said to go to Mt A to seek our paed opinion and treatment of antibiotics. Tim said if we were to go to KKH now, we may well be warded immediately.

KKH or MT A?

Bernard from Clouds of Praise returned the sms saying he like to visit Jere. I told him I was heading to hospital and he said he will be arriving soon so I waited.

Bernard arrived soon and prayed over Jere and asked me what's my course of action. I told him I was thinking of a second opinion and he said LET'S GO and he would fetch me there.

Quickly I changed and rushed down to Mt A to see Dr Simon.

Dr Simon heard the whole story and ordered another urine test to see if the wbc was on a downward trend. He then said the good thing is Jere is looking well and happy. Then this time I called KKH again to ask if they could fax me the results and God bless, they did. Dr Simon then prescribed the Augmentin for me and Tim said to stay with Dr Simon's treatment till we see Dr Y on Thurs.

So Jere's now on Augmentin.

Will update again.

Thank you Lord for leading us to Mt A. I know you sent your angel to lead us there.

Meantime, please pray for Jere's protection and that we take the right course of action. Also that the doctors and nurses be blessed and guided when we see them again especially the doctors and nurses at KKH children surgery centre. AMEN.

No comments: